Thursday 1 March 2012

Construction


Before filming my music video, i wanted to have some practice in filming to understand the basics of filming a video. A group of us film a basic, rather stupid video to get to grips with this. This helped me understand the amount of footage needed to keep the video interesting, the amount of different angles needed, the precision needed for perfect lip-syncing. Also the balance needed between singing shots and acting shots.



Here is a video demonstrating my experimentation of using a caonon 7D. I explored the use of aperture and lighting.



Here is a compilation of footage of my filming my music video.

I wanted to add an other aspect to my music video so that I had an other location added to my video. I had the idea of filming Charlotte in front of a projector, with scenes of nature being projector onto her. I got the idea for this from the XX's video Crystalised where they do a similar thing.



Unfortunately after filming, I did not think that this footage fitted with the tone of my existing footage. The footage was too dark and dingy most of the time, and after adding some of it into my video, I found that it was too much of a contrast to the bright footage I already had. Here is an example of the footage.


I got the idea to add flashes and endburns filters over some of my footage from The Horror's video Whole New Way.





This effect gave my footage a retro feel and added an other element to the conventions of an indie video. This went well with my 70's song and the bright consistency of the footage, while adding interest to scenes in which Charlotte isn't singing. Here is an example of what I added over it.

To make this work, I put the clips of the flashes or endburns over the top of my existing footage. 
Then I change the settings of the clip to make the opacity of the clip lower so that it blended into the footage, and changed the scale of it to fit over the top.

This was the finished result.

To create a more professional and aesthetically pleasing look to my video, i wanted to add a filter to change the tone of all the footage i hadn't already added filters to. To do this i used the mojo effect.
 i changed the effects of the balances for each of my clips to fit in with the different lighting, content, etc.

Here is an example of the effects of mojo, before and after.







No comments:

Post a Comment